Build a Fun 4-wheel Buggy on Your Own!

Process of Build (Frame)
06/16/2002 Updated


XLR Frame cut into pieces


XLR engine has been covered by plenty of grease, chain oil, leaves and mud in overall. I took the engine off, and got the frame ready to be reused as a part of the structure of my buggy frame. It is supposed to be cut into piece as an engine mounting structure.



Welding buck (fixture) for frame work is being built up. It may somewhat help. ... I was convinced that it was a great help later on as things moved forward.



Top portion of the XLR frame was cut away because it was no longer neeced for my buggy. Once the portion was cut away, the overall frame lost its way to come back on the street forever.
Rear-half portion (triangle portion shown in the photo) was also supposed to be cut, but I kept it as it is for the time being because I expected the portion may work as a longitudinal guide for welding.


Frame Build-up



I started to build up the main frame.
As this part was going to be the datum for everything being built on the frame, I paid much attention to the dimensional preciseness.
As shown in the 3rd photo above, I welded the XLR frame on the bottom tubes.



Today's accomplishment. Front half of frame was created.
Welding buck, shown in the photos, looks poor but really helps. It was really a right preparation that I made in advance. If I did not make it, I could not keep the steel materials in the air during the welding operation for sure.


Things do not go fast because manual interation of steel materials by hand is quite time-taking job.
After today's work I stored the frame into my van together with my bicyle as usual, until the next time to work.


Rear end portion in work as well.


Anti-roll Bar


I put a horizontal bar on the top of frame which would be the mounting structure for an anti-roll bar. Brackets to hold the seat were mounted on this bar.


The anti-roll bar in process of make. This was designed as detatchable for a reason of height constrain of the cargo space in my van.


Supporting tubings.


Brackets connecting anti-roll bar itself and the supporting tubings. It takes time to make these kind of components...


Anti-roll bar is also supposed to work as a part of silencer supporting structure.


A silencer of Kawasaki ZXR250, combined with a XLR250 exhaust pipe with a own-made flange welded.


Floor panel


Floor panel, just for feet.
Front end of the floor also supports pedals.


Take the engine off again


As final measurements and fabrication of components for operational systems have become almost completed, I took the engine off from the frame again.
I will go to the final welding on frame, further fabrication & refinement of components, painting, and electric wiring.
The engine will be put on again when I see that the whole structure of the buggy becomes almost completed!


Looking up from the bottom...


This is a a view from the bottom that I will not see very often once the buggy gets completed.
When I took a look like this, I noticed that strength of the rear suspension arms would not be enough. I decided to rework on them.


Final Welding, Reinforcement Addition


All components and the frame have been completed.
Now I put everything off the frame, check all welded portions, and make them complete (as perfect as as possible).


Due to a probable concern of making neighbors bothered with the noise, I performed all the de-slagging process inside the cargo space of my van with all the doors closed.
I got a lot of pieces of slage on the blue sheet.


I found that the area under the driver seat is relatively less stronger against torsional force, compare to the rest.
Therefore, I added a "X" shape reinforcement in the area, and put 2 bars between two points of anti-roll bar mounting and the main frame.
My home-made DC welder powered by two fully-charged batteries marginally worked for the welding on these portions. Batteries rapidly become discharged after the welding on every several portions. It is really time-taking to get them re-charged again ... Things do not go faster!


Welding has been all completed. I moved onto painting & assembiling process.


... To be continued.

View Top Page with Frame (Click to view frame)
Japanese Top Page